'Fessin up and getting down to the business of being a student.

Friday 28 September 2007

Last night, Rich fell over a snooker table. Don't ask me how, I've no idea. All I know is that he managed to fall over it. It was like some weird slo-mo stunt, but very funny at the time. Sank a few vodkas, but quite well behaved I thought. Got back around 2am. So I was quite ready for a looong lie in. But when I got in, Stewart was having a mini party in his own room.

His dance music was the last thing I heard going to sleep, and about the first thing I heard waking up. I think he has got it quieter but that awful "thud" beat of the music still manages to resonate through two rooms and still reach mine!

I feel sorry for Lianne, she's right next it! So I'm kinda tired this morning, but ok otherwise.

Dad came over last night with more provisions, bed linen and some food. I've taken a note of the building payphone number so no more mobile calls. Them things are evil. See how long that lasts...

So, registration Monday. People have been nipping out for it all day, but man I wish I had a t.v. to while away the hours...

I think Russ was playing Coldplay and Idlewild before Stewart's dance monstrosities, and that was cool. Sleepy, relaxing music.

Rach, Stewart and I hung out together last night though and he seems a nice bloke.

Outwith the world of student-ism, I'm feeling really unsettled by what's going on in Burma. The trouble is, it feels like it's all happening so far away, and in an environment so alien to ours, that it's hard to connect with it, to appreciate how truly horrific it is. From what I've seen and read, Buddhists must be the most peaceful religion I've heard of. They're peacefully protesting against a brutal, militant regime (which I admire them hugely for), and it was working. They were doing something, changing history, and then the military got too scared and decided it had to act. Shooting and killing not just protestors, but neutral news reporters too. It's horrifying and shocking, but what can one do? I'm at uni, doing my own thing. What can I do? The ironic thing is that people are saying the UK has to intervene and stop the madness, but the last time the UK intervened in a brutal regime (Iraq) it all went completed tits up and was quite possibly the worst foreign policy disaster in our lifetimes. Given our track record... I'm not sure the UK storming in is going to work. On Question Time last night someone was saying we should boycott the next Olympics, because China is connected with Burma, and under the threat of losing face over the sporting event, they would do something about the situation. China and the Olympics is another question altogether. Because then you're looking at the way they treat their native Buddhists and Tibet. It's a complete quagmire. Who'd get involved in politics eh.

x.